Financing & Incentives

Utility and State Incentives

We have provided an overview of utility and state programs that can help you as a resident, building owner, or builder to finance improvements in window energy efficiency. Download an overview of utility and state programs (Updated December 9, 2019).

  • Programs are listed by state and by the specific energy supply companies that administer the programs. For detailed information about each program, please refer to the web links in the list.
  • Some programs aim to improve home energy performance in general, others explicitly focus on window energy performance. Direct mention of windows is marked in red. For details about the eligibility criteria of specific programs, please contact the respective utility sponsors.
  • PLEASE NOTE: This list does by no means give complete information about ALL window-related utility programs in the country. Please contact your utility for more information about programs available in your area.

Other Resources

  • The State Incentives and Resource Database can help commercial and industrial managers seeking to make energy efficiency upgrades in their facilities find the financial and technical incentives, tools, and resources they need. Search the database for resources available in your area.
  • DSIRE is a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.

Tax Credits

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 is continuing energy efficient tax credits for windows, doors and skylights. Specifically, the bill reinstates the 25c tax credits and extends them through the end of 2016.

The bill extends business credits of up to $2,000 for builders and contractors of new and renovated energy efficient homes. The 25C homeowner tax credits is 10% of the cost of building envelope improvements (which includes windows, doors and skylights) with a maximum deduction of $500, of which up to $200 can be claimed for windows and skylights.

The IRS form for requesting the home improvements tax credit is IRS Form 5695, which you will need to file with your 2016 taxes. Homeowners should keep any manufacturer certification statements with their records but are not required to submit them with their tax return.

For more details on the tax credit for home energy efficiency improvements, view:

Financing or incentive programs may be available to you if:

In order to get the NFRC certification process started, contact NFRC and order a Product Certification Program (PCP) Package. This package will contain information on how to follow these further steps:

  • You intend to replace old windows with high-performance, energy-efficient windows.
  • You plan to build a new home with windows that keep energy costs low and provide for a comfortable interior.

If you are looking for utility programs within your state that can help you finance such an investment in efficient windows, download an overview of utility and state programs.