Design Guidance for New Windows
These guides examine the energy use impacts of new windows for homes in hot, mixed and cold climates. They show the the impact of orientation, window area, and shading. The energy use has been calculated for various window design variations including 5 orientations (equal, north, east, south, and west), 3 glazing areas, 20 glazing types, and 5 shading conditions.
- Cold Climate Guide for New Construction
- Mixed Climate Guide for New Construction
- Hot Climate Guide for New Construction
Efficient Windows Basics
Designing new homes can be a complex issue, but some straightforward principles and guidelines may help you set a solid foundation for window energy efficiency upon which you can further improve with careful design. Two of the most straightforward principles of selecting efficient windows are these:
- The windows must meet the locally applicable energy code requirements;
- Windows that are ENERGY STAR® qualified for the home's climate ensure state-of-the-art energy performance even in locations with outdated or nonexistent energy codes.