EWC’s Online Window Selection Tool
Use the Window Selection Tool for new or replacement windows to compare the annual energy performance of different window/skylight types and design conditions for a typical house. Find manufacturers who offer windows and skylights within the generic results shown. Learn more about manufacturers’ specific product options.
Use the Window Selection Tool to
- Compare how various window or skylight types affect estimated energy cost for a typical house in your location.
- Get general feedback on certain design conditions such as orientation, shading and window area.
- Compare comfort and condensation information between different window options.
- Find manufacturers who offer windows and skylights within the categories shown.
- Learn more about manufacturers’ specific product options.
RESFEN is used for calculating the heating and cooling energy use of windows in residential buildings. Using a computer program such as RESFEN to compare the performance of window and skylight options allows you to customize the calculation by adding heating and cooling costs for your specific climate, house design options, and utility rates. The user defines the house with a series of selections from a menu: location, heating and cooling system type and efficiency, utility rates, floor area, window area, window orientation, interior/exterior shading, etc. A specific window or set of windows for each orientation is selected and specified by their U-factor, SHGC, and air leakage rate. The program then calculates the annual heating and cooling energy use and cost as well as peak heating and cooling loads. It is designed so that different window types can be placed on different orientations. RESFEN download and use information.
The BEopt™ (Building Energy Optimization) software provides capabilities to evaluate residential building designs and identify cost-optimal efficiency packages at various levels of whole-house energy savings along the path to zero net energy. BEopt download and use information